Student organizations are permitted to host events with food on campus. In order to comply with UConn, local, and state policies, a food permit must be obtained from UConn Environmental Health and Safety (EHS). This is for the distribution of any food regardless if it is catered, pre-packaged, free, or for sale. The only exception is for closed/private meetings such as a department meeting or student organization meeting where only members of that organization are invited. A University wide meeting does not qualify as a closed/private meeting.
Food Permit Process:
- A minimum of ten business days prior to the event, complete the EHS Food Request Form
- Note - this deadline is required by EHS. You may need to submit earlier in order to comply with SGA funding & purchasing procedures
- A member of UConn Environmental Health & Safety will review the application and determine if:
- Additional training is required
- Additional information is required
- Student Activities staff will check to see if the request has been approved
Food Permit Resources
Food Safety Training
UConn Environmental Health and Safety may require you to complete a food safety training program on HuskyCT. If requested to enroll in this program you will be asked by a member of EHS to provide your NetID. You may self-enroll in this program:
- Login to HuskyCT
- On the Institution page (the landing page after login), you will see “Organizations” on the left hand menu
- In the top right corner, click "Organization Catalog"
- In the first line, change the first dropdown menu from "Name" to "ID"
- Enter "0254" in the search and select "Go"
- Click on the blue text "org-0254"
- Click on Enroll & Submit
- You will get a “Success” message. Click on Ok at the bottom right to go directly to the course.